Beginning Tuesday, Dec. 1, and continuing through the end of flu season, BWH and BWFH personnel who are not vaccinated for influenza for any reason, including a medical reason, will be required to wear a surgical or procedural mask while they are in patients’ rooms or patient care areas, and whenever there is a reasonable expectation of being within six feet of a patient in a patient care area (such as in a waiting room, patient care unit, family room or clinical research space). Those who fail to comply with this policy will be subject to corrective action.
“One of the simplest and most effective ways that we can protect our community from influenza is by receiving an annual flu vaccination,” said BWHC President Betsy Nabel, MD.
This requirement is in addition to the Massachusetts state requirement that all employees must attest in PeopleSoft (by Dec. 1) to either receiving influenza vaccine or declining to be vaccinated.
Attestation is done automatically for employees who receive vaccine through Occupational Health Services (OHS). Personnel who decline flu vaccine or who receive vaccination at a primary care practice or other non-OHS location must manually attest in PeopleSoft by Dec. 1. Employees can attest by visiting peoplesofthr.partners.org/public from a work or home computer or mobile phone.
OHS continues to offer flu vaccine at no cost to all personnel:
- Monday, Nov. 23, in the Pechet Conference Room, Harvard Institute of Medicine/New Research Building, 1st floor, 9 a.m.–noon
- Monday, Nov. 30, Tuesday, Dec. 1, and Wednesday, Dec. 2, 6:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., in the Shapiro Center Miller Atrium (2nd floor)
- Monday, Nov. 30, and Tuesday, Dec. 1, 6–8 p.m., on the Shapiro 2nd floor at the bridge
- At the Neville House Clinic by appointment or during walk-in hours (Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays: 7–9 a.m.; Wednesdays: 2–3 p.m.). Or call 617-732-6034 to make an appointment.
- Through the unit-based Peer-to-Peer Program
All personnel will receive a sticker from OHS that must be worn on their ID badge as verification that they were vaccinated. Those who receive their vaccination elsewhere should obtain their sticker from OHS after attesting in PeopleSoft.
The updated policy and additional resources, such as employee FAQs, are available at BWHPikeNotes.org.